Rss Feed
  1. Lake Seminole

    Wednesday, September 2, 2009

    Again, I meant to post this earlier, but August really got a away from me. I'm playing catch up now.

    Back in early August, I got a chance to play with the cool kids on Lake Seminole, which is right here in Pinellas County. After picking up supplies (subs, drinks) and gassing up the boat, we loaded into the boat and motored away from the ramp. The lake is pretty big, as lakes outside of Finger Lakes and Great Lakes country go, and is separated into two parts. The back lake area is smaller, more residential, and shallower. You could stand up, with your head out of water, if you didn't mind the mucky goodness of the lake bed sucking at your feet. There may have been gators in there, too, but I didn't see them (and I didn't look too hard).

    Dan was the first one up on the wakeboard once we got all situated in the boat. He showed the rest of us rookies how it was done. [Note to my cousin Kyra: I am pretty sure we were following all the rules included in your how-to manual.] Jen, a wakeboarding novice, if not virgin, was up next -- and in only a few tries. Making it look so easy, Jacob thought he would have no problem. Not so. Thus, the wakeboard was benched for a bit, and the tube was inflated. I jumped on board the tube and held on for dear life. This isn't your Daddy taking you around the lake for a nice ride! Tubing is akin to the mechanical bull -- you're hoping to get your 8 seconds! I held my own, but the tube, my fellow tube rider, and the lake all left their mark on me. I nearly lost my suit in there somewhere, too. Note to self: put on the rashguard prior to rash-giving and suit-taking activities.

    The tube was put away as we motored back toward the larger, main lake. The wakeboard was brought back out for another go. Carl gave his most valiant efforts, but never quite got the brass ring. I gave it my best shot, and nearly made it to upright (SO CLOSE); however, I never quite made it either. I blame my vice grip on the tube (and subsequent tossing from the tube) for reducing my strength. I just didn't have any oomph left. Jacob finally got upright and moved forward a few feet before getting dunked again. We just left him for dead and took off for home after that...


    Seriously?! That last part would never happen. We all made it home alive, and gator-bite free. I definitely was sore for a couple of days after our playtime on the lake, but it was worth it. It was one helluva a beautiful day in Florida and a great day to be out on the water.

  2. 0 comments:

    Post a Comment