Rss Feed
  1. I'll Go Crazy

    Thursday, October 15, 2009

    Let me tell you about one of the best concert experiences of my life. U2 is my favorite band. I developed an unhealthy obsession with them in 1996. I know, I’m a late bloomer. The band had been around for over 15 years by then. If I had been more involved in the music scene at age 8, I would have loved them at Joshua Tree, just like the rest of America. Regardless, U2 was probably my first love. Well, BONO was my first love, and Lordy, he still has it.

    I first tried to see U2 live my freshman year of college. I bought tickets to the Toronto show of the PopMart Tour. My high school friend agreed to go with me, then bailed on me! She was not up for the adventure of getting across the state of New York and the Canadian border to get to the show. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find anyone else up for the adventure, and I still have the unused tickets. Dude, if I couldn’t go – no one else was going either! So I didn’t sell them. I held out hope until the bitter end that I would still be able to go. Fast forward to the Elevation Tour. I persuaded my brother and his then-fiancĂ©e to go to the Philadelphia show. In short, it was AMAZING. Bono had the crowd in the palm of his hand. I still remember the hush as U2 closed out the show with “With or Without You.”

    Now, I had another chance to see U2, right here in my own metro area at Raymond James Stadium. The media hyped up the anticipation with an expected crowd of 70,000 and massive traffic delays. I took a half day from work, and my friend Kelly and I hopped in the car about 4 hours before the opening act, Muse, took the stage. We loaded up on beverages and Subway, and braced ourselves for “the suck” of traffic. The suck never arrived! We cruised all the way to the stadium, and coasted right into a parking spot. Kelly and I tailgated and listened to one of the most awful, yet awesome, covers of U2 songs ever – The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Plays U2. The clarinet performs the melody to “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”. Kelly and I laughed our asses off. We couldn’t get through an entire song – we would listen to each until we knew which song from the U2 catalogue it was, then moooove right along to the next.

    I should mention here that the outdoor temperature in Tampa on this night was about a gabillion degrees. As in SWELTERING. The coozies were barely keeping our beers cold. Sweat was dripping down my back. Sultry comes to mind.


    After what we felt was a sufficient amount of time with our cheap beer, Kelly and I mentally prepared for “the suck” of getting into the stadium where we had field tickets. That’s right, we had standing room on the football field – not seats. We figured we would be in the back, a million miles (or at least 70 yards) from Bono and the Boys. Well, I don’t know what was working for us, but we got within 10 yards of the stage.
    Bono and The Edge duke it out in 360.

    At a little after 7, Muse opened for U2. I was most pleasantly surprised by this band that appeared on the soundtrack for “Twilight”. [If you don’t know what that movie is, or what it’s based on, you have been living in a pop culture void and you are dead to me.] Muse freaking rocked! I actually did not want their set to end!


    The main act, as usual, took their sweet time about it. By this time, the floor space had filled in to sardine-like capacity and I was soaked through with sweat. The rest of the stadium was full up, too, breaking all attendance records for the stadium. See what can be accomplished when you take football out the equation?!?!


    U2 yet again rocked my world. Bono yet again had a crowd of tens of thousands in the palm of his hand. And the set list was one to drool over, with some songs that I know the band rarely performed in concert before, like “The Unforgettable Fire” and “MLK”. Check it out below.

    Breathe

    Get on Your Boots

    Mysterious Ways
    Beautiful Day

    I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

    Stuck In A Moment

    No Line on the Horizon

    Magnificent

    Elevation
    Until The End of the World

    Unforgettable Fire

    City of Blinding Lights

    Vertigo

    I'll Go Crazy - Remix

    Sunday Bloody Sunday

    MLK
    Walk On

    One

    Where The Streets Have No Name


    Encore

    Ultraviolet

    With or Without You

    Moment of Surrender


    The only thing that could have made this better was if Bono had picked me out of the crowd and pulled me up on stage during “City of Blinding Lights” instead of some cute little boy. Whatevs. Next time!!!

  2. 0 comments:

    Post a Comment