Rss Feed
  1. Intrastate Running - Prelude

    Thursday, November 19, 2009

    Hi y'all. I am FREAKING. OUT. Tonight we load up the relay vans, in preparation for the Ragnar Relay - Florida edition. Tomorrow morning at 10 AM, Team Twisted Blister hits the road running. We start in Tarpon Springs, FL and finish in Daytona, FL, a distance of 203 miles. I will run a total of 13.6 miles over the course of 3 legs and about 30 hours. Part of my anxiety stems from the fact that I have not been able to train in the way I wanted or needed. In early September, in midst of my exuberance at starting a new season of training and running, I came down with a significant set of shin splints. Besides a few 5K runs here and there, and a few 3-4 miles long runs every now and again, I have not been running as much as needed to prepare for this race. So, I'm feeling a little worried.

    I am also feeling really excited! My body feels ready to run, and to run far -- like all the waiting and resting has geared my body up for an explosion of endurance. Let's just hope that explosion doesn't cause me to implode at the finish line. I am also excited about finally having all 12 members of our team members together, cheering each other on in what is most certain to be a great adventure filled with many moments of hilarity and comic relief. Additionally, I am comforted by the fact that I am running a total of only 13.6 miles, and not 30 or 40 miles like the 6-person Ultra teams (ahem, Jacob), or all 203 miles by myself, like one crazy Dude.

    In the end, I know Team Twisted Blister physically will make it to the finish line in Daytona, and I am already most grateful to the dozens of our friends and family that have contributed to our fundraising campaign for The Kenya Education Fund. I am humbled by the outpouring of generosity from all of our donors, as well as the encouragement everyone has given us as we prepared for this relay. It would not be possible for Team Twisted Blister to reach the finish line without all of your support. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, and those of my teammates!

    Sticks in a bundle are unbreakable. ~Kenyan Proverb

  2. 0 comments:

    Post a Comment