Rss Feed
  1. Thrill Seeking Missile

    Tuesday, June 7, 2011


    Well folks, I kicked off the Memorial Day weekend right by launching myself out of a plane with a man strapped to my back (a.k.a. tandem skydiving). My friend Michaela wanted to skydive for her 27th birthday and I cheerfully volunteered to accompany her.

    Jacob and I got on the road at about 6:30 AM so that Michaela and I could be the first jump of the day at Skydive City in Zephyrhills, FL.

    The experience was AWESOME. Packed into our lil' Cessna like sardines with several other solo jumpers, we told dirty jokes to cut the tension. I was less nervous than I expected for something like this, and to be honest, I thought bungee jumping was scarier. So, word of advice: bungee jump before skydiving -- it will make things more fun! :) At about 13,000 feet, Quinn, my tandem diving professional, and I scooted our way over to the bay door opening in the side of the plane. I lifted my chin, crossed my arms over my chest, and kept my legs tucked behind me. Then, we were air born -- hurtling toward the Earth -- and it was BEAUTIFUL. You could see all the way to St. Pete -- it was a beautifully clear day and the air was fresh and cool. At about 5500 feet, Quinn pulled the chute and we drifted slowly toward home base. Quinn pulled some spirals, had us feeling zero gravity for a few moments, and then we landed by sliding on our butts.

    I would have done it again that day -- several times over. That's what flying feels like! I almost wish I paid the extra $100 for the photos and video...ALMOST.



  2. 0 comments:

    Post a Comment