Rss Feed
  1. I Heart Chicago

    Monday, September 3, 2012

    The Chicago Skyline at sunset.

    I really have to thank my friend Amanda for moving to Chicago, and then I have to thank God we live in a place so close to this wonderful city.  As you may recall, Amanda moved to Chi-town in August 2008. Since then, I have been to this city 6 times. I fell deeper in love each time. I imagine more visits in the future. Here are my top reasons why:


    • The incredible green space of this city allows you to run, walk, or bike along nearly 26 miles of shoreline - from the Chicago River to the sandy shores of Lake Michigan. Perhaps because I grew up along the southern shore of Lake Ontario, this Great Lakes girl has a natural affinity for any city on a lake.
    • The food! I am a food-lover (DUH) and always will be. I love deep dish pizza, and Chicago serves up the best. I'm still conducting sampling to find my overall favorite, but right now, Lou Malnati's is in the running for the top spot.
    • Public transportation and walk-ability.
    • Baseball, basketball, football, and hockey - this town has it all.
    • Two major airports.
    • The Shedd Aquarium. I stood for a LONG time watching both the belugas and the penguins. Plus, there are great freshwater ecosystem exhibits that you can't find at a lot of other aquariums that focus on marine species.
    • The tours! Most recently, I went on an Architecture Tour that told me about the many famous buildings in the city. I would like to try the chocolate tour and some of the walking tours, too. No ghost tours, though. I hate ghost stories
    • The Apartment. This is where I like to DANCE.
    • Second City. Dude, this IS where FUNNY is born and lives.
    What I also love about Chicago is that I can visit, then go home to my not-so-bustling metropolis back in Iowa where I can get a beer for $2 (or less) and rent a whole house for what it would cost to rent a studio in the city. And when I get tired of that...I go back to Chicago :)



  2. 0 comments:

    Post a Comment