Rss Feed
  1. New Year's Eve 12.31.14

    Wednesday, December 31, 2014


    I love the end of the year. Advent and Christmas are such wonderful lead-ups to this reflective time. Advent ushers us into a contemplative state as we anticipate Christmas, and Christmas has us rejoice over our many blessings. This year is no different.

    You may know I am not a huge fan of resolutions. At the end of the year, they usually serve as a reminder of all I failed to accomplish and how I (yet again) did not live up to my own expectations. Two of the best ideas I saw, so far, on the interwebulars as resolution replacements are the following. I think they dovetail nicely, as I can use the first to reinforce the effectiveness of the other.
    1. "Rememberlutions" - Instead of making resolutions, designate a jar into which you will drop slips of paper each time you accomplish something of which you are proud. Get that promotion? Write it on a slip of paper and drop it into the jar. Get a new PR on a lift, CrossFitters? Write it on a slip of paper and drop it in. You get the idea. At the end of the year, you can celebrate all the awesome you accomplished. What a great way to focus on the positive without being a complete cheeseball ;)
    2. The Birthday Project has a great plan: "As we approach a new year, with all the standard talk about resolutions, I've been thinking about a new approach. Instead of placing value on the things I no longer want to do, I'm considering the things I care about deeply. Hating things doesn't bring change...it's what we LOVE & value that bring real change!! So I'm making an honest list of what I consider to be my Core Values, and I'm going to spend some time figuring out how to make those things the focus of 2015. How about you? How are you planning to make a positive change in the next year, not just for yourself, but for those around you?"
    One of my core values is spending time with loved ones - my family and friends. Because many of my loved ones are sprinkled acround the country, I usually try to prioritize my budget each year to ensure that I can see as many special people as I can throughout the year. This coming year will be no different, and I have at least 2 special trips planned already.

    Another core value is charity. This is one value with which I struggle for many reasons. I won't take you down my rabbit hole of self-criticism; this is one area in which I would like to improve by changing my attitude, listening more, and asking more questions. It is easy for me to be charitable to the ones I love when I am feeling good; however, how can I respond more charitably when I am feeling impatient, frustrated, or anxious, especially with those I do not know and love?

    Hopefully 2015 will again bring as much good health and as many happy memories as 2014. After the great many sea changes in my life in the past 3 years, I feel as if my tiny raft has turned into at least a little row boat. I feel stronger (physically and emotionally) and more grateful for all the good things in my life, including J, Bman, family (near and far), old and new found friends.

  2. 0 comments:

    Post a Comment