Rss Feed
  1. This is a Sentimental Post

    Thursday, August 2, 2018

    Our Tiny House
    I have to admit I wasn't looking forward to this year's summer break from school. I feared I was in for 2 1/2 months of constant bickering between my boys. I haven't loved tiny house living either. But the Lord works in mysterious ways and I find myself full of absolute gratitude for the summer the boys and I have had.


    Maybe I'm feeling sentimental because of Bman's upcoming entrance into Kindergarten, or because we are finally onto the paperwork portion of acquiring our newly-constructed home that we have waited for with the anticipation of first-time parents. Maybe its because we are coming to the end of one season, and on the cusp of another. With Bman entering school full-time I know we are exiting a period of relatively unadulterated innocence. And our world is changing so, so quickly these days. I have the strongest sense that I will, indeed, never have these days again and I am hugging and cuddling my littles just a little longer and more tightly than ever before. Whatever the cause of these feelings I am awed and delighted by the gifts given to us during this season.

    The most important of the gifts we have received this summer has been the nearly constant presence of neighborhood children at our tiny house. These kind and energetic souls have kept my children laughing and playing and away from screens. They have kept my boys from bickering with each other. They have given this tired Mama many opportunities to relax while keeping an ear tuned for danger. They have given my boys a reason to miss this tiny house when we are traveling. Our yard and house have been filled with imagination, laughter, shouts, popsicles, snacks, adventure, and exploration almost every day of the summer.

    The challenges of living in a small space that is not wholly ours -- from the house to the furniture and decor -- are undeniable and at times almost defeating; however, these will be forgotten in time as the memories of all the joy my boys experienced this summer will overshadow the annoyances and frustrations of tiny house living. The freedom they have experienced has made me nostalgic for my own childhood summers -- the brightness of the sun, the laziness of the hours, the blueness of the sky, and the rustle of the trees -- and the hours spent playing with neighborhood friends.

    My boys also experienced magical visits with family filled with tractor rides, boat rides, water fun, bike rides, pretending, road trips, and more than a few new experiences with loved ones. I have experienced more than a few moments of absolute joy this summer while witnessing my boys share huge smiles and deep belly laughs with some of my mister's and my favorite people -- grandparents, uncles, aunts, and long-time friends. No doubt there has been crying, whining, bickering, time outs, and overwhelming chaos on the regular. But, I am so thankful for every person that loved our boys and treated them to one hell of a childhood summer. It was beautiful and it's not quite over yet. My heart is so full. This moment is my carpe kairos.

  2. 0 comments:

    Post a Comment