Rss Feed
  1. Cleaning Up My Nutrition

    Friday, January 28, 2011


    Most of you know that I run to eat. That's been my motto since I first started training for my first (and only) marathon because let's face it, melted cheese, beer, and Combos are phenomenal. Lately, though, I think that might not be the best motto. Maybe one of the reasons I never see stellar run times, or improvement in my run times, is because I do not eat to run. In other words, my fitness reflects my fuel. Crappy fuel; crappy fitness. Good fuel; good fitness. [We won't even touch the subject of my erratic training methods as another reason for lack of improvement in results.]

    So, with the goal of improving my fuel, and hopefully my overall health, I am embarking on what will be a difficult challenge for the next month, starting January 30th. I am not alone, Jacob will be right there with me, but it ain't gonna be easy. The challenge is called The Whole30 and goes little something like this.
    I will not consume added sugar of any kind, real or artificial. No maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, Splenda, Equal, Nutrasweet, xylitol, stevia, etc. [Kicking my chocolate habitat is going to be HAAAAAAARD.]

    I will not eat processed foods. This includes protein shakes, pre-packaged snacks/meals, protein bars, milk substitutes, etc.

    I will not drink alcohol, in any form. [MINUS, Whole30. BIG minus. I love dirty martinis!]

    I will not eat grains. This includes (but is not limited to) wheat, rye, barley, millet, oats, corn, rice, sprouted grains and all of those gluten-free pseudo-grains like quinoa. This also includes all the ways we add wheat, corn and rice into our foods in the form of bran, germ, starch and so on. [But crackers and cereal are what I LIVE ON!!]

    I will not eat legumes. This includes beans (black, kidney, lima, etc.), peas, lentils, and peanuts or peanut butter. This also includes all forms of soy – soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, and all the ways we sneak soy into foods (like lecithin). [So sad, I LOVE PEANUT BUTTER.]

    I will not eat dairy. This includes all cow, goat or sheep’s milk, cream, butter, cheese, yogurt, whey, ice cream, etc. [OH MY GOD, I KNOW. CHEESE!!!]

    I will not eat white potatoes.

    I know, it is EXTREME. But it is just 30 days. After 30 days, I will hopefully accomplish the following.
    1. I will know how to make healthier choices and how my food affects how I feel. I can loosen the reins, but not my hold over my nutrition.
    2. I will pay attention to what I put in my pie hole because right now, I do not. At all. And that's just sad.
    3. I will form habits -- including cooking fresh, real food meals -- that will last a lifetime and contribute to my overall health.

    I aim to post daily, if not weekly, what I am eating (and I'll try not to whine too much about what I'm not eating). Feel free to join in the Whole30 challenge with me and go through the grief of letting go of comfort foods like mac n' cheese, pasta, and port wine cheese and crackers. And Taco Bell. And chocolate. And chocolate milk. For one month.

  2. 1 comments:

    1. Jaime said...

      Cool! My family does a similar program called Purification through the whole food supplement company they use. My dad swears it has changed his taste buds forever, and thus, his life. :) Here's to awareness, restful nights, and living life to its fullest! Love you tons!
      J

    Post a Comment