Rss Feed
  1. New Year's Day 2014

    Wednesday, January 1, 2014

    The snow is falling softly and the house is quiet as my baby boy tries to nap. I spent last night trying to recall how I celebrated the ringing in of a new years past as my baby slept and the Mister helped our athletes sweat in 2014 at the gym.

    New Year's Eve is kind of a stupid holiday that many call "Amateur Night" because of all the rabble rousing idiocy involving alcohol. My mother recalls many a New Year's Eve spent at home with us kids while my Dad worked as drummer in a band playing some party in town.

    I always enjoy New Year's Eve. There is an air of never quite knowing what will happen next, particularly because plans for the "big day" usually come together at the last minute. After all my reminiscing (while in bed at 8 PM last night), my Top 5 New Year's Eve celebrations (in no particular order) would have to be:

    1. Key West, 2005/06. I blew a ton of cash as a poor graduate student to join in this celebration with a group of people I didn't even know, save one of my friends from grad school. I never regretted the expense. I had one of the best meals of my life on New Year's Eve. I never once felt hung over. I enjoyed the sun, the pool, the beach, and all the ridiculousness that is Key West.

    2. St. Pete, 2006/05. Four of my best girlfriends and me at my little apartment for a homemade dinner of baked ziti and night out dancing at the now defunct Rare Olive in downtown. I loved the night so much I didn't want it to end and my girls indulged me by trying to find the non-existent after party of the bar's band.

    3. D.C., 2002/03. We didn't go anywhere but my girlfriends' apartment and we had the time of our lives.

    4. Miami, 2004/05. My girlfriends from DC made their way south in one way or another - either to visit or to permanently relocate - and we once again made the night ours at Bougainvillea in South Miami.

    5. St. Pete, 2008/09. My friend convinced my now Mister to join my dinner party at a downtown restaurant. I think it was our rousing thumb war that sparked our romance. The rest is history - dating, marriage, baby, and building a life together.

    So this New Year's Eve I spent quietly at home, putting my baby boy to bed, reminiscing, and pondering the future. I had a busy few years lately and who knows what 2014 will hold? I guarantee more challenges are headed my way. How could they not be with an infant/toddler and a business to run? Perhaps Bman will learn how to nap this year? A mother can only hope. As for me, here are my hopes:

    1. Practice gratitude daily.
    2. Achieve a muscle up.
    3. Clean & jerk 145# (or more!)
    4. Snatch 135#
    5. Practice unconditional kindness.

  2. 0 comments:

    Post a Comment