Rss Feed
  1. 8 Days...and Counting.

    Tuesday, February 22, 2011

    I'm tired of all the rules, Whole30 meanies!! I want to be able to make almond butter pancakes, or add a smidgen of feta cheese to a salad, or even just use BUTTER in a recipe. AND I don't understand what is SO bad about dessert, even desserts with natural sweeteners (e.g., honey, maple syrup). I LIKE ending my meals on a sweet note, even if it is just a square of really dark chocolate. Thus, in a moment of frustration, I broke down and made fudge babies out of dates, cocoa, and vanilla. I generously sent Jacob off to Charleston with the other half of the batch.

    This wasn't a true cheat on the rules of The Whole30, but it certainly toed the line. Too bad. They were DELICIOUS, they satisfied my craving, and I totally ate too many. I am SO ready to be done with this challenge so I can have more flexibility in my cooking. Red wine vinegar would be nice. Or even just a glass of RED WINE while I make dinner. The ability to eat soup. Or sushi. Or non-homemade mayonnaise. Or a spoonful out of the 2-gallon tub of delicious custom ice cream we received as a gift at my bridal shower.

    A local ice cream shop, Old Farmer's Creamery, has the ability to custom order 2-gallon tubs of ice cream. Jacob and I ordered ours last week in anticipation of this challenge ENDING. We decided on mint chip ice cream with french vanilla ice cream swirled in with chunks of Reese's peanut butter cups throughout. The staff wondered if we might want to taste that to be sure it was a good combo, but we held strong. We didn't cheat, and the staff served as our taste-bud proxies. We got a total thumbs up on our choice!

    Dear Lord, I hope The Whole30 didn't spoil our innards for this amazing taste combination. I have no idea what will happen when dairy is re-introduced. Or if any refined sugar will send me into a nutritional death spiral. I guess I should probably start mapping out what my Healthy/F*!$-off scale is going to look like...Check out the example from TheWhole9 below.



  2. 0 comments:

    Post a Comment