Rss Feed

  1. Since starting this crazy ass food challenge, others posed many a-question to me about why I am doing it and why certain food items are "forbidden". In response to why I am doing this, I'll refer you back to my original post that kicked off the start of The Whole30. I preface my response to the second question by saying "I didn't make the rules, I just needed structure."

    I stumbled upon The Whole30 in relation to CrossFit,* which is a specific type of physical fitness training regime based on the premise that good nutrition fuels improved athletic performance. Essentially, in the CrossFit world, good health is derived from super fitness, and super fitness may only be achieved through good nutrition. I can wrap my head around that.

    It is more difficult to wrap my head around the specific rules of The Whole30 Challenge as there is a WHOLE lotta new information (to me) about nutrition and effects of specific foods on the human body. I am not a nutritionist. I have no background knowledge in nutrition or the science of nutrition. Hell, I ate whatever I wanted and assumed I could burn it all out during a run or boot camp. I chose the Whole30 because Jacob and I are interested in this whole "Paleolithic" diet/nutrition revolution that is happening, and The Whole30 offered concrete rules for getting to a cleaner state of eating (see above for my answer to the question of why I am doing this).

    So, here are the answers to why, during this challenge (and maybe beyond), I cannot have dairy, legumes (including peanuts and soy), or grains

    I hope you find these resources helpful. As for the habits of a caveman, even the Whole30 Challenge acknowledges that this is not an exact interpretation of how Paleolithic man prepared or ate his/her food. The underlying theme is that our human digestive systems have not evolved in concert with our food production techniques. Our digestive systems are still essentially paleolithic; they were not meant to consume fast food, processed food (e.g., food in a jar, box, or can), or food from the agricultural revolution (e.g., dairy, grains).

    I'm not sure I'm sold on the entire Paleo concept, including the idea of cutting cheese out of my diet forever, or never having another flour-based delight like waffles or cake, but I am sold on the idea of eating less crap and eating more real food. This challenge has thusfar been difficult and educational, and I learn best by doing. If this is what I must do in order to learn about to eat better, then so be it. It is not everyone's way and maybe you will take some new piece of information away from my experience. I mean, who knew grains had the ability to perforate your intestines?

    [* I will save a discussion about CrossFit and my connection with it for another day. For now, just substitute in the words "Boot Camp Class".]

  2. 0 comments:

    Post a Comment